Clear and "cloudy"
Google has announced Site Search, which has been designed to deliver high-quality search results to any Web site through the cloud computing model. The Google-hosted, customizable service allows site owners to quickly implement search functionality in a fashion familiar to users.
Google highlights the following Site Search capabilities:
- enhanced index coverage--comprehensive search results on any site by crawling and indexing more content, including pages deep within a site;
- synonyms--site owners can add their own custom synonym dictionary;
- date biasing--site owners can influence search results based on the age of documents;
- top results biasing--specific sections of the site (such as the product catalog) appear at the top of search results; and
- full look-and-feel customization--site owners can fully customize the search results interface to integrate with the unique look and feel of their sites.