Managing business vocabularies for governance
Adaptive has released it Business Glossary Manager (BGM), a Web-based platform designed to provide the framework to help organizations define and communicate consistent business vocabulary and align glossary terms from disparate sources to commonly understood definitions. Adaptive claims the BGM platform can substantially improve data governance and management while reducing exposure to compliance risk. Available in the cloud or on premise, BGM is a key resource for creating and maintaining enterprisewide and industrywide glossaries, terms and definitions, says the company.
BGM is integrated with the Enterprise Data Management (EDM) Council’s recently released Financial Industry Business Ontology (FIBO). Both BGM and FIBO address a widespread challenge faced by many institutions—how to compare data within an enterprise, much less across the industry, in the absence of documented or consistent business term and data definitions.
Features of BGM include the ability to:
- define how the organization creates, approves, updates and promulgates consistent business terms and definitions;
- foster shared data usage across the organization;
- provide consistent terms and definitions, together with corresponding metadata;
- provide a stable foundation for the management and integration of glossary terms across the organization; and
- scale up to an end-to-end metadata product to manage all enterprise data definitions and movement.