ECM: compliance, collaboration, the cloud
Alfresco Software has announced Version 3.2 of its Enterprise Edition. With this release, Alfresco enables cloud-based deployments, streamlines e-mail management and archiving and enhances team-based content collaboration. In addition, the Alfresco Enterprise 3.2 Records Management module is said to be the only supported open source solution to have been certified to the 5015.02 standard.
This release builds on Alfresco’s ability to deliver low-cost, innovative and interoperable open source ECM solutions. New features and benefits in Alfresco Enterprise 3.2 include:
- Multitenancy—Alfresco says it’s the only ECM system that natively supports multitenancy, a critical component of multicompany cloud implementations as it maximizes use of hardware and simplifies administration of multiple instances of Alfresco.
- Cloud-deployable—Alfresco now supports multiple deployment options from traditional on-premise to full cloud deployment ranging from a simple AMI to a fully configured, fault-tolerant and load-balanced Alfresco cluster.
- Records management (RM) module—5015.2 certified, Alfresco RM enables both commercial organizations and government agencies to address the strict legal requirements associated with managing key business records. The Alfresco open source RM module (available in February 2010 via the Alfresco Enterprise Subscription as a separate module) will enable companies to manage all document content, with retention ranging from lightweight to 5015.2-compliant in a single repository, at a fraction of the cost of traditional RM solutions.
- IMAP support for e-mail client access and e-mail archiving—drag-and-drop support allows users to share key e-mail messages with colleagues and team members. Unique transparent IMAP standard protocol support provides full access to repository services without a client install and can be accessed from mobile devices.
- Collaborative content creation—Enhancements to Alfresco Share make it easier for teams to work together, extending team collaboration from the extranet environment into the cloud through scalable moderated sites, group-based site membership.
- Rich user profiles—Alfresco enables users to employ social media techniques to navigate and find important information.
- Portlet updates—New dashboard features, such as image galleries, a new forms engine and activities filters make it easier for users to configure project portals to suit their needs.