Socialtext has released a major new version of its namesake social computing platform. The company reports Socialtext 4.0 enables employees to mobilize in new ways around projects, challenges and opportunities, and delivers new capabilities that span across all of the company's social software modules.
Version 4.0 includes microblogging channels and filtered activity streams to help people digest the information that colleagues share with them throughout the day, as well as new tools for group productivity. Socialtext 4.0 is available on all of Socialtext's flexible deployment options, including its unique on-site managed appliance, which delivers the security enterprises need without requiring IT resources or developers to update and maintain the software. Microblogging channels and filtering are also available on the Socialtext Microblogging Appliance.
Socialtext highlights the following capabilities of its new offering.
- collaborative groups—give users the social software tools they need to quickly circulate knowledge, ideas and updates among team members to get work done faster;
- microblogging channels—allow users to filter the short messages colleagues share with them throughout the day;
- microblogging search—enables users to browse and search as well as target search to messages from a specific group;
- activity stream filtering—allows viewing the activity stream of any group to which you belong, so you can quickly zero in on what's transpired in the group; and
- presence indication—users can hover over a person’s avatar to see their presence, allowing colleagues to know who is reachable at a given moment.